Yaquina Head Lighthouse
The Yaquina Head Lighthouse is
located just north of downtown Newport. The lighthouse was first
constructed in 1873. The location is visited by thousands of visitors
every year. There is a visitor interpretive center that is managed by
the Bureau of Land Management.
The Tower is 93 feet tall and is the
tallest of the lighthouse towers along the Oregon coast. It stands 162
feet above sea level. The light can be seen for 19 miles out to sea.
The lighthouse was fully automated in 1966. Today, the lighthouse
shines 24 hours a day.
There is ample parking, and with a
multitude of sea birds, this area is also considered a prime location
for bird watching and whale watching along the Oregon coast. Located
just south of the lighthouse, the tide pools where seaweeds, sea stars,
hermit crabs, purple urchins, and anemones can be seen, is open to the
public during daylight hours.
Retrun from Yaquina Head Lighthouse to Lighthouse Page
Retrun to Home Page